Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





21/07/2008

Letter from Portugal (Azores)

Wow! I was really impressed by this letter I received last Friday. It was sent to me by André de Melo from Portugal. He has his own blog, you can see it by following the link 'Stampstraveler' in my list with interesting blogs.

I had seen that André wanted to have all Europa 2008 stamps on cover, so I sent him a cover with the self-adhesive version of the Belgium Europa 2008 stamp.
I had never expected to get such nice FDC in return. Moreover, the stamps are WWF stamps and this makes this cover extremely interesting for me.

Thank you very much for this really nice cover, André!



The two upper stamps picture the Atlantic Blue Marlin (Makaira nigricans). This fish is blue-black above, with a silvery white underside. As you can see on the stamps, it has a long, stout bill.

Atlantic blue marlins primarily feed on a wide range of fish. They swim through schools of fish at high speeds, slashing at fish with their bills. After the attack, they come back to eat the dead or stunned ones.

It is one of the largest bony fish species in the world, and also one of the world's most aggressive fish.


The two bottom stamps picture the White Marlin (Tetrapturus albidus). White marlin are large fish with a large upper jaw that forms a spear which is round in cross-section. They occur in small groups consisting of several individuals.

The fish usually migrates to high latitudes in the warm season.

Unlike the Atlantic Blue Marlin, the White Marlin is not dangerous for humans.