Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





05/02/2009

Italian WWF cover

I have just received my first Italian cover. Thank you Lorenzo! :) And it's a very special one for me, as it is franked with one of the 1991 WWF stamps:

The animal pictured on the left stamp is the Abruzzo brown bear (Ursus arctos marsicanus). The brown bear is the most widespread member of the bear family, which is found throughout Europe, Asia and North America. Scientifically, more is known about brown bear than any of the other bear species except for the American black bear.

Despite its name, the brown bear ranges in color from black to yellow, reddish and even beige. In some areas, brown bears grow as large as polar bears and in other places they are less than half that size. Because of these differences in size and colour , people used to think there were many different species, not just on.

In the northern hemisphere the brown bear was long feared, admired and even worshiped as the king of beasts, taking a special place in folk tales.

(to read more, follow this link: http://www.bearplanet.org/brownbear.shtml)


The second stamp was issued to commemorate the historic university of Ferrara (1391-1991).