Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





03/02/2009

Endangered doves

Thank you André for the beautiful cover below, franked with a complete serie of Madeira WWF stamps!


The animal pictured on the stamps is the Turtle dove (Streptopelia turtur). I don't know if this species is still endangered at this moment, I have seen a couple while going to my work lately... :) Also, I found this on the internet:

'This species has a large range, with an estimated global Extent of Occurrence of 1,000,000-10,000,000 km². It has a large global population, including an estimated 6,900,000-14,000,000 individuals in Europe (BirdLife International in prep.). Global population trends have not been quantified, but the species is not believed to approach the thresholds for the population decline criterion of the IUCN Red List (i.e. declining more than 30% in ten years or three generations). For these reasons, the species is evaluated as Least Concern.'

(http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=2498&m=0)

Anyway, it would be great if this animal is no longer endangered. I think you all agree with me that nature has already suffered enough so far, so any positive change would be more than welcome.