Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





14/09/2008

Serbia WWF

Thank you very much Dusan for this extremely nice cover mailed from Novi Sad on September 1, 2008.


On the cover we see the 2007 Serbian WWF issue on the black woodpecker. (Dryocopus martius). This is a large woodpecker, 40-46 cm long with a 67-73 cm wingspan.

It lives in mature forest across the northern palearctic. It is the sole representative of its genus in that region. Its range is expanding in Eurasia. It does not migrate.

The plumage of this crow-sized woodpecker is entirely black apart from a red crown. In males, the entire crown is red, but in females only the hindcrown. The sexes differ even as nestlings.

The black woodpecker's flight is straight, not dipping like other woodpeckers. As we see on the stamps, the nest is a tree-hole into which four or more eggs are laid.