Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





17/04/2009

Superb covers from France

Thank you very much Eric Contesse from France for these two great covers from France, both picturing the WWF stamp from France issued in 1969. The animal pictured on both envelopes is the European Mouflon (Ovis gmelini musimon). This is a wild mountain sheep that has woolly underfur in winter, but is covered by heavy guard hairs. The coat is brown with a white belly and rump. Males have strong, curving horns. (Species Ovis ammon, family Bovidae.)

(also check Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouflon)


The mouflon is an endangered species and in 2001, a cloned lamb was born in Sardinia, Italy, as part of a conservation strategy. It was the first endangered species to be successfully cloned. (http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Ovis+gmelini+musimon)


The second cover also shows the souvenir sheet 'Preserve the Polar Regions and Glaciers', issued earlier this year. The sheet shows a polar landscape (0.56 euro stamp) and two Emperor Penguins with their young (0.85 euro stamp).

These are very very nice stamps, as are the Belgian ones. I'm very curious to see (and receive) other sheets for the protection of the polar regions :) Just today, I received another one from Canada, I will show you this one in a next post.