Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





01/09/2008

Germany

Here I am again (finally...).

The first cover I want to show you today is one from Germany. And it's a very nice and interesting one because it pictures penguins and polar bear Knut!

Just a little mistake: my family name is not Vandale, but Vandaele... but anyway, here's the cover:


I think the stamp with polar bear Knut is one of the nicest stamps issued by Germany in recent years. On the cover, you don't see the stamp because it's a special pre-printed envelope. But the image is the same as on the real stamp.

In case you don't know the story about Knut, read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_(polar_bear)

The ship on the cover is called the Polarstern (Polar Star). It's a research and supply vessel and is concidered to be the most important tool in Germany's polar research program. This ship was used for the first time in 1982, and since then the Polarstern has completed a total of 46 expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic. She was specially designed for working in the polar seas and is currently the most sophisticated polar research vessel in the world.



The Polarstern spends almost 320 days a year at sea. Between November and March she usually sails to and around the waters of the Antarctic, while the northern summer months are spent in Arctic waters.

The ship is equipped for biological, geological, geophysical, glaciological, chemical, oceanographic and meteorological research, and contains nine research laboratories. Additional laboratory containers may be stowed on and below deck. Refrigerated rooms and aquaria permit the transport of samples and living marine fauna.
(http://www.awi.de/en/infrastructure/ships/polarstern/)


The flower stamp belongs to the flowers definitive serie and pictures the Tagetes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes)