Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.


I can send you a nice cover from Belgium in return, or Belgian mint stamp(s) - as you prefer.
Have a look at my Delcampe store, all items that are for sale can be exchanged too.


14/09/2008

First Mauritius cover

I received my first cover from Mauritius last week! Thank you very much Tasneem!



Tasneem used a very nice envelope, dedicated to the inauguration of the new postal museum on July 23, 2008. Also notice the special cancellation dedicated to this event.

There's a special card inside the envelope with more information the museum, but unfortunately I can't read it because it's glued together with the envelope... so I cannot take it out without damaging the enveope and / or the card.

Anyway, Tasneem used two stamps on the cover. The one on the left is a 1997 stamp, issued in a serie of 4 stamps commemorating 150 years of Mauritius stamps (1847-1997). Belgium issued its first stamp in 1849, so 2 years after Mauritius!

Eric already gave some good information on this stamp in his blog, so take a look if you want to know more!
(http://timbredujura.blogspot.com/search/label/Mauritius%20(%C3%AEle%20Maurice)

The stamp on the right is a very nice one issued in 2007 and picturing a dodo. The dodo (Raphus cucullatus) was a flightless bird endemic to the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. Related to pigeons and doves, it stood about a meter tall, weighing about 20 kilograms, living on fruit and nesting on the ground.

The dodo has been extinct since the mid-to-late 17th century. It is commonly used as the archetype of an extinct species because its extinction occurred during recorded human history, and was directly attributable to human activity.

The adjective phrase "as dead as a dodo" means undoubtedly and unquestionably dead. The phrase "to go the way of the dodo" means to become extinct or obsolete, to fall out of common usage or practice, or to become a thing of the past.

(read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo)

The dodo also figures on the Mauritius coat of arms: (sorry of the picture is a bit small...)

I don't know what is the meaning of the blue cross on and the staple in the envelope. If somebody does, please let me know ;)