Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.


I can send you a nice cover from Belgium in return, or Belgian mint stamp(s) - as you prefer.
Have a look at my Delcampe store, all items that are for sale can be exchanged too.


14/09/2008

Austria

My parent went on holidays to Austria, and they sent a simple (but nice) cover to me. There's one stamp on the cover, commemorating the 100 th anniversary of the death of Josef Maria Olbrich (1867 - 1908).


Olbrich, born on 22 December 1867 in Troppau, demonstrated an interest in the building trade at a very early age. After a few years working as an architectural draughtsman, he began to study at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. In 1893, Olbrich joined Otto Wagner’s architect's office. The young architect created a special exhibition room for the newly founded artists’ association, the Viennese Secession. The building later became known as the Secession building, and entered history as one of the main works of the Vienna Jugendstil.

He designed a number of residential and exhibition buildings that served as exemplary models for modern buildings and homes. In 1906, Olbrich received his last and largest commission: the construction of the Leonard Tietz AG department store (later Kaufhof AG) in Düsseldorf.

In his striving towards the total work of art, Olbrich dealt not only with architecture but also with the decorative ornamentation of interiors and the design of handicraft objects. Thus he created a large number of designs for crockery, furniture, musical instruments and other objects, such as the letterbox illustrated on the stamp.

The model for this extraordinary letterbox was designed by Olbrich for the home of the manufacturer Max Friedmann in Hinterbrühl near Vienna. It is made of sycamore wood, stained brown and with traces of an original blue staining inside. The brass fittings and the white glass stones used on the leaf tendrils reinforce the visual effect of this house letterbox. Incidentally, this valuable exhibit has been part of the Municipal Art Collection of Darmstadt since the 1970s.
(http://www.post.at/eshop/philatelieshop/detail.php?prod=208350)


My parents also bought a nice stamp for me: the 2008 Willendorf Venus stamp. Some of you know that I am also interested in history / archaeology, and I was fascinated by this stamp I had discovered on the internet. I asked my parents to buy this stamp for me, so now I have it in my collection.

This is the Venus stamp:


It's a large self-adhesive stamp, and it's a 3D stamp which makes this nice stamp also very special.

The Willendorf Venus is Austria´s most famous and valuable find from the later Palaeolithic age. The Venus sculpture was created for 25,000 years. It was found in Willendorf in the Wachau on 7 August 1908. The figure is 11 cm high, made of fine limestone and has survived almost undamaged. It shows a corpulent naked woman. Wide hips, protruding stomach and heavy breasts are the characteristics of her appearance. Her arms are only suggested, her wrists decorated with serrated bracelets. The upper and lower legs are natural in form, the feet are missing. Her weak shoulders bear a large head bending slightly forward, without a face, almost entirely decorated with a complicated hairstyle made up of rows of ringlets reaching deep into the back of her neck. Residues of colour indicate that the sculpture was originally painted with thick red chalk. (Incidentally, the original can be found in the Vienna Natural History Museum).
(read more: http://www.post.at/eshop/philatelieshop/detail.php?prod=208340)