Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





17/08/2008

South Korean history and flowers

I received a new cover from South Korea last week. It pictures four stamps:


The 2 big stamps were issued earlier this year. They are part of a serie of 4 stamps on Dangun Wanggeom. He was the legendary founder of Gojoseon, the first Korean kingdom, around present-day Liaoning, Manchuria, and the Korean Peninsula. He is said to be the grandson of heaven, and to have founded the kingdom in 2333 BC.
(for more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangun_Wanggeom)




The 2 identical stamps are a 2006 definitive stamp picturing the Crinum Asiaticum (Japonicum) Common names in English are Asiatic Poisonbulb, Giant Crinum Lily, Grand Crinum, Grand Crinum Lily, Poison Bulb, Poisonbulb, Spider Lily or Tree Crinum.
It's a large-leaved, short-stemmed herb from tropical Asia, with showy clusters of large white flowers elevated on leafless stalks. The herb is used in medicine in Asia.