Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





11/06/2008

Czech Republic

I received a very nice cover from Czech Republic last week. Another country to add on my list, yes :-)

This is the cover, sent to me by Zdenek Macoun. (Thanks for this nice cover, Zdenek!)



Zdenek used 3 nice stamps on his cover. The small flower stamp is part of a definitive serie. This one shows the cornflower.

The 10 Kc stamp is issued this year, to promote the Praga 2008 stamp exhibition. (from September 12-14) This stamp shows a mural by J. Navratil, which can be seen in the postal museum of Prague.

The 6.50 Kc stamp was issued in 2005 and shows the Porta Coeli. On the internet I found this article:
'Queen Constance, the widow after Czech King Przemysl Otakar I, founded the nunnery Porta Coeli, or the Heaven Gate, in 1233. There was not situated any castle or fort which would protect it, so the monastery had to get good fortifications. The dominant of the complex is the historically rare Gothic-Romanesque Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady, consecrated in 1239, in which the founder and her son Przemysl have been buried. The unique Gothic portal of the French cathedral type, that was supposed to be the gate to heaven, is decorated with the apostles´ sculptures, rich floral and animal motives. It demonstrates perfect stone-carving from about 1235. Recently the Regional Museum (Podhorácké museum) has been established here.'
(http://www.czechtourism.com)

I really like these beautiful and interesting stamps! I already have some used Czech stamps, and they are almost all as beautiful as these shown on the cover. Way to go Czech Republic!! :)