Hi :)

I try to collect one nice cover from every country in the world, and I need YOUR HELP! Below you can browse through my collection, if you see your country is missing (or you can send me a better cover than the one I already have), please contact me :)

I prefer covers with WWF stamps, because this is my main (topical) collection. I also collect other WWF items, like local FDC / MC etc.





08/06/2008

4th cover from Israel, first fdc!




I received my fourth cover from Israel last week, which makes it my top country (together with Switzerland).

This time it's a very neat cover, with nice stamps showing protected wild birds from Israel. Thanks Mylene and Asher Carmi for sending me this very nice fdc!
I speak about these birds from the left to the right:

The first stamp depicts the Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus. This is a large wader in the avocet and stilt family. Adults are 33-36 cm long. They have long pink legs, a long thin black bill and are mainly white with a dark cap and a dark back.

The breeding habitat of all forms is marshes, shallow lakes and ponds. The nest site is a bare spot on the ground near water. These birds often nest in small groups, sometimes with avocets.

Some populations are migratory and move to the ocean coasts in winter.

These birds pick up their food from sand or water. They mainly eat insects and crustaceans.


The second stamp depicts the Spur-winged Lapwing or Spur-winged Plover (Vanellus spinosus or Hoplopterus spinosus) is a lapwing species, one of a group of largish waders.

It breeds around the eastern Mediterranean, and in a wide band from sub- Saharan west Africa to Arabia. The Greek and Turkish breeders are migratory, but other populations are resident.



The third and last bird is the Collared Pratincole or Common Pratincole, Glareola pratincola.

Pratincoles are unusual among waders in that they typically hunt their insect prey on the wing like swallows, although they can also feed on the ground.

The Collared Pratincole is a bird of open country, and is often seen near water in the evening, hawking for insects. It is found in the warmer parts of Europe, southwest Asia and Africa. Its 2–4 eggs are laid on the ground. It is migratory, wintering in tropical Africa, and is rare north of the breeding range.


For those f you who want to know more about these birds, there's a lot of information on the internet, so go for it!! :)
I took the texts for this message from the well known website wikipedia.org.